Get the Help You Need
You’ve just learned that your unborn baby has a diagnosis of a genetic disease or syndrome, or may be at high risk for a genetic disorder. You may now be considering abortion.
We want to help you learn if there might be uncertainty in the genetic test result you received. We also want to support you through some of the difficult decisions in front of you. We will sensitively discuss options with you, including adoption. We will support you no matter your choice.
What is the Next Step for Me?
Project Heritage wants to ensure every family has access to accurate information regarding their prenatal genetic testing results. If you qualify for Project Heritage, here is the process for which you may receive free services. Even if Project Heritage is not the right fit for you, we are still willing to direct you to additional resources to support you at this time.
Examples of genetic tests that Project Heritage can help with include and are not limited to: NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing), Maternal Serum Screening, Carrier Screening, Findings of Variants of Uncertain Significance (VUS).
- Contact Project Heritage. Contact a Project Heritage representative through our secure email portal by clicking on “Get Support” or by clicking here. We will discuss your concerns. Under no circumstances will Project Heritage, Special Angels Adoption, or the Center for Genomic Interpretation sell or share your personal information or medical results.
- Decide whether or not Project Heritage is right for you. When a prenatal genetic test comes back positive, Project Heritage wants to provide support in two main ways. The first is to evaluate the uncertainty of the test result. The second part of Project Heritage is to provide a connection with Special Angels Adoption. You will be supported during this time by receiving social work services, counseling, and peer match to assist you in your decision-making process regarding the pregnancy.
- Send a consent form and your test results through secure email communication. You will receive emails from Project Heritage through a secure email address. This will contain a consent form to sign electronically and instructions about how to submit a copy of your prenatal genetic test results. After receiving a copy of your test results, the expert scientists at the Center for Genomic Interpretation will analyze it thoroughly and will search for additional information that can provide clarification on your result.
- Evaluate your results with a report from Center for Genomic Interpretation (CGI). Within two-weeks after sending a copy of your genetic test result, you will receive a report from CGI. This report will be written in an easy-to-understand format. This report is for research-use only and is to be discussed with your healthcare provider who is welcome to contact CGI.
- Special Angels Adoption will reach out to you. After receiving your report from CGI, Special Angels Adoption will contact you. You will be offered free services to support you in your decision-making process. You elect which services you are in need of, including a social worker, counseling, adoption education, and/or a peer match for parents who are raising children with the same or similar genetic conditions predicted for your unborn child. You will be supported no matter your decision regarding the pregnancy.